Wix has an SEO competition where you can win $50,000 ranking for "SEO hero"
Countdown til first Wix "SEO Hero" Search
What will Be An SEO Hero do with the money?
100% of the money will go to the Cancer Research Institute. Why? Because I lost my dad to cancer on April 1st, 2015 and it sucked. My dad was my hero and this was and still is painful. I know so many others go through the fighting and the loss with their loved ones, so I want to support a cause that battles this terrible villain.
Wix SEO Hero Competitor Rankings
Rankings last updated on 2/23/2017. The rankings for "seo hero" are pulled from a New York location for desktop just as the judge is supposed to do, making them accurate rankings. I checked the whois data to pull only domains registered after the competition start date, but note that some of these domains may still have history or other reasons that may disqualify them from the competition. See the Competition Cheating Section. To see more people who are likely entered into the competition and more information about each website, see our Competitor List.
Probably not, https://web.archive.org/web/*/seohero.ninja
Probably not, https://web.archive.org/web/*/zerotoheroseo.com
Probably not, active back in 2013 http://whoisrequest.com/history/
Wix's 3rd entry
Wix's new entry
Probably not, https://web.archive.org/web/*/yourseohero.com
Wix SEO Hero Competition News
Be An SEO Hero is back from Pubcon SFIMA
I was in Florida yesterday presenting on the technical aspects of content. It was a lot of fun and a great conference. I'm honored and thankful that Pubcon allowed me to speak.
What did I miss in the SEO Hero contest while moving?
It looks like Be An SEO Hero is back in the SERPs after seoremake.com fixed their mistake. There have been some drops from some of the SEO Hero competitors like seohero.io who was one of the top sites and penrodshero.com also took a massive dive. Wix's Gifted SEO Hero website is also pretty far back, coming in about 40th of the eligible websites. They have a long way to go in a short amount of time if they want to prove they are the best. My feeds were interesting to go through as I saw everything from pure spam like blog comments on .edu websites and even links from porn websites. One German competitor seems to be releasing a ton of press releases every day. The French Team is getting major support from other French SEOs. With less than 3 weeks to go in the competition, this is the time to make a move.
This SEO hero is dying
Heroes always have moments where they are weak but then come back strong. I'm figuratively dead from packing, moving, and unpacking. I've got a Raleigh SEO Meetup tomorrow and an early flight to go speak at Pubcon on Wednesday so expect delays or very little in the ways of updates. After finally getting the internet working (no signal), I'm back online and have updated the rankings. I will probably update tomorrow as well but Wednesday is probably out of the question. I will return to my former glory soon enough, just bear with me!
- This SEO Hero made a move during this week and was less active.
- Be An SEO Hero is back in the SERPs after being hijacked for a while.
- The website that hijacked Be An SEO Hero posted a message saying they were sorry and it was a mistake.
- Wix is really far back in the competition.
- Penrods Hero is running AdWords ads now.
- Wix made a new video and is promoting it hard with outreach. Even Barry Schwartz wrote about it and Matt Cutts himself responded.
- Be An SEO Hero had their SERP result hijacked, note that this is not the website being hacked.
- Wix's SEO Hero School is no longer redirecting to their new website.
- The deadline to give the Wix SEO Hero judge access to GSC and GA was during this week.
- There was another link that looked to be paid for by Wix.
- Wix posted more SEO tips, more SEO Heroes, and another blog which was the story of the video they created.
Reminder to hand over your Google Analytics and Google Search Console access by February 16th.
An annoying SEO Hero bot started spamming the hashtag.
I have weird links showing in GSC that say they link to me but pages redirect elsewhere.
I wrote a fake news story about how Kim Jong Un is an SEO Hero and the supreme leader of the contest.
Nothing SEO Hero related happened at the Super Bowl.
Wix's new SEO Hero website finally showed up in the rankings.
A keyword stuffed SEO Hero website suddenly started ranking and linked to my Facebook page.
Wix finally updated their SEO Hero AdWords ads to go to their new website after reading about it on Be An SEO Hero.
I went through some of the mistakes Wix made when switching from seoheroschool.com to giftedseohero.com.
I pulled a lot of data from Be An SEO Hero's Google Analytics about Wix employees.
There's a fluff piece on the evolution of heroes.
Wix already has a paid link to their new website Gifted SEO Hero. That's 8 that look paid in total and counting.
Be An SEO Hero pointed out that Wix is still running ads to their old contest website and breaking AdWords policy.
Wix's new website Gifted SEO Hero was indexed.
There's a fluff list of things to do in NYC, because that's where the judge searches and all.
I looked at a lot of search engines' "seo hero" results and found Yandex has the best results at this time.
Wix fixed the noindex issue on their new website that Be An SEO Hero pointed out to them.
- Another website is hijacking beanseohero.com. They replaced me in the SERPs and their cache shows my website.
- The French Team is making a push in SEO Hero Contest.
- SEO Hero websites are still showing up, with less than a month to go in the competition.
- Wix has a 3rd entry into the SEO Hero Contest with real-seohero.com.
- Wix's Gifted SEO Hero finally replaced their old website SEO Hero School in the SERPs.
- Rand Fishkin confirmed he is not involved with Wix's entry, other than giving them permission to use his name and likeness.
- Wix continues to buy links, not following the Google Webmaster Guidelines or their own SEO Hero Challenge rules.
- Google added "seo hero" as a related search for Patrick Stox.
- There's a pretty cool video Wix made with SEO heroes, Matt Cutts, and cats.
- Wix left a noindex tag on all the pages of their new SEO Hero website.
- Wix changed domains from seoheroschool.com to giftedseohero.com.
- I revealed what the original strategy was for Be An SEO Hero.
- A couple more paid links going to Wix's SEO Hero School uncovered.
- Wix made lots of website changes to SEO Hero School, which may have been to prepare for their website move.
- Wix linked from their SEO Hero contest announcement and support page to their contest website.
- I tried to explain that the 307 redirect people see on Be An SEO Hero is caused by HSTS.
- I spoke a bit about the bias of the contest towards Wix in how they have promoted their SEO Hero website.
- I speculated that as the SEO Hero Challenge comes to an end, many of the SEO Heroes will throw their support behind another contender and become sidekicks.
- Wix had a couple more SEO Heroes added to their website including a lady in NYC who hired an SEO agency and another using mommmy blogger links who may have a Penguin penalty.
- A new blog on SEO Hero School talked about how Wix was fighting the negative SEO attack on their website.
- My best guess as to what program is being used in the negative SEO campaign is Xrumer.
- Wix made a video insulting SEO Heroes by suggesting that anyone can do it.
- Tylor Hermanson of whichseohero.com wrote a blog talking about his mistakes in the SEO Hero contest.
- Wix posted a job ad looking to hire an SEO hero.
- Google's John Mueller had an ominous message in response to a Twitter thread on Wix's link building practices where he said that Google has a lot of experience dealing with links both manually and algorithmically.
- John Mueller was also asked about Wix again in another podcast and he said he didn't see Wix websites that different from any other premade website, that they're fine for small businesses, but that you may need another platform when you need to do a little more with your website.
- Wix added Apocalinks as another SEO Villain.
- I lost my motivation to write about SEO Hero topics for a while.
- I was in New York where the contest will be judged, but sadly I won't be there for the end of the SEO Hero contest.
- 4 more links that look bought show up promoting Wix's SEO Hero website. Many have past relationships with Wix for advertising it seems and one even admitted Wix reached out to him, twice.
- An SEO Hero asking for links at an SEO conference.
- More SEO Heroes exposed their PBNs for the contest.
- A couple SEO heroes appear to be trying to manipulate CTR in the SERPs.
- I audited Wix's SEO Hero School website. They have some issues.
- Be An SEO Hero was discussed over beers and SEO.
- Wix posted a blog about the negative SEO affecting them that took some serious liberties and showed a lack of understanding on the subject.
- Some of the wording of Wix's Super Bowl campaign makes it seem like they may promote SEO Hero School during the Super Bowl.
- One of Wix's heroes is an affiliate marketer not exposing that she is one. She may be shut down.
- An SEO Hero tried to drop a spam link promoting their website on Moz.
- Benj Arriola made a cool connections tool to show how you connect to other SEOs.
- Wix's SEO Heroes they post on their contest entry site are sharing the posts. Ego bait works.
- Wix sent an email announcing their SEO Hero website to who knows how many people.
- I uncovered additional evidence the Wix SEO Hero Challenge is an ORM campaign.
- Wix posted an article on backlinks and much of the SEO advice was terrible.
- I added a tools section to the SEO resources page and started adding FAQs.
- There was another article written claiming the SEO Hero Challenge is an ORM campaign.
- There was more talk of negative SEO and the negative SEO on Wix's SEO Hero School website continues.
- One of Wix's SEO Heroes hired an agency who seems to have very bad current practices and lost half the links to the website when moving to Wix's platform.
- Wix did a ton of updates on seoheroschool.com. There's a new video, the quiz went live, and a new navigation.
- Wix continues to post SEO Hero Tips and profiling their customers as SEO heroes and I'm just having fun tearing them apart.
- Oops, one of the contestants forgot about the competition.
- The SEO Hero Challenge doesn't seem to be changing people's minds when it comes to SEO.
- Wix is really liking my website. There are multiple people from the company on it every day and they come from organic, social, email, and direct.
- It appears that Wix has a beta platform that they use for a lot of websites where they may be trying out new features. It's too bad this isn't available to all customers as it might be an easy way to find and fix issues with the platform.
- The support page for the Wix SEO Hero Contest was moved from a subfolder to a subdomain. Wix's entire support section appears to be moving.
- Be An SEO Hero got put back into the filter after hitting a high of 2nd this week.
- It looks like Wix is buying links to their SEO Hero contest website. Come on guys, really? They're also running paid AdWords ads and Facebook ads for additional exposure. I think they're trying to buy their way to a contest win.
- The negative SEO attack on seoheroschool.com doesn't appear to be working.
- I ranted for a bit on how the query intent for "SEO Hero" searches is likey about the contest and not about an SEO company providing services or a school.
- The articles Wix posted about their customers as SEO Heroes are starting to rank well for some of the customer's targeted terms.
- Wix is promoting their SEO Hero entry via their massive social media channels.
- A couple YouTube videos were spammed to page 1 of SEO Hero SERPs with keyword stuffing and spammy links.
- There looks to be an SEO Hero Quiz coming from Wix, copying a popular strategy by another competitor.
- Wix added a section on seoheroschool.com to show off successful Wix customers and their SEO. Surprise, surprise, they're not doing as well as they thought. They all have lots of issues and could be doing a lot better. I've reviewed the first 2 this week.
- John Mueller made some comments about Wix that they took to mean they're awesome. They took him out of context quite a bit.
- Wix added some related posts to help with internal linking on seoheroschool.com.
- Sitewide links and press releases are being used a lot more in the contest.
- Be An SEO Hero was mentioned in a Digital Marketing Weekly Roundup post.
- I broke out of whatever seems to be magically depressing rankings for most SEO Hero websites.
- As an ORM campaign, the SEO Hero Challenge seems to be working for Wix.
- I took the SEO Hero Quiz from one of the competitors and found out I'm not an SEO Hero.
- seoheroschool.com has been hammered by a negative SEO attack. At least in the short term it seems to be working or at least making the wrong page show.
- Wix made on of the first confirmations of the SEO Hero Challenge, it was clarifying that one of the rules was meant to stop negative SEO but it won't.
- Wix has continued with daily SEO tips, although not quite daily.
- One of the competitors wrote a post about using link wheels...
- Wix added a page for daily SEO tips, but the tips are pretty bad.
- Google says Wix websites are fine for search.
- My list of SEO Hero websites grew to over 175.
- One SEO Hero is using an emoji domain!
- I started making what already is an awesome SEO Resource that I will continue to make better.
- Wix took the lead for a short time, jumping over 80 spots by linking from the Wix.com blog to their SEO Hero entry.
- It looks like Be The SEO Hero is backed by a powerful team of well known SEOs.
- I added some goofy pictures with a Panda and a Penguin about being an SEO Hero or Villain in the new year.
- The link from Wix.com's blog to their SEO Hero website had a big impact!
- I've had some SEO hero related spam show up linking to my website that wasn't made by me.
- Wix has added a couple of blogs to their SEO Hero entry on powerball and featured snippets.
- Sorry Barry Schwartz, Search Engine Roundtable isn't a new domain and isn't eligible to win the Wix SEO Hero Challenge.
- I added another photo of my Rogerbot topped Moz inspired Christmas wall tree.
- The websites ranking aren't eligible and many are using black hat SEO tactics like PBNs.
- Competitors are guest posting and doing press releases.
- Updated the SEO Hero competitor list. There are some nice new entries and apparently more to come as Cyrus Shepard is apparently in a group effort to raise money for a good cause.
- My feeds are being filled with spam from the SEO Hero contest.
- Surprise, surprise! Wix's link from their main blog to seoheroschool.com really helped their rankings.
- I announced that I'll be donating all money to the Cancer Research Institute in memory of my dad. I also listed all the other SEO Hero websites giving to charity.
- Who's ready to SEO hero on resumes?
- Wix made more updates to seoheroschool.com including a couple new villains.
- I made a Moz inspired Christmas Tree with Rogerbot on top.
- One SEO Hero got hacked.
- Both Moz and Ahrefs finally showed search volume for SEO Hero, but still nothing from SEMrush.
- Over 9 million results for SEO Hero now, from 128k a month earlier.
- Wix made a lot of updates on their SEO Hero contest page. Of note is a new contest page that indicates they now have Rand Fishkin's permission and also had comments that lend credibility to the fact that the contest is an Online Reputation Management campaign.
- Wix linked from Wix.com's blog to their contest page, giving them a big boost. This may be against Google guidelines because the keyword rich anchor text used that was obviously intended to manipulate PageRank and help their contest website seoheroschool.com rank better but also because their blogs are distributed to other websites where these links are also picked up.
- Possibly the first signs of Negative SEO in the SEO Hero competition.
- I ranted that content and on-page SEO don't seem to matter in the Wix SEO Hero Competition. Others think it's a filter pushing down contest websites.
- Those whose domain eligibility was in question received responses.
- One SEO Hero who was told he wasn't eligible is now told he is.
- Be An SEO Hero was getting too large, so I separated it into weekly pages.
- Wix had an unannounced forum on their contest website, but closed it down now.
- I did a breakdown of SEO Hero competitors on HTTP vs HTTPS. Only 28% were using HTTPS.
- Wix's seoheroschool.com finally made it into the top 150.
- Lots of emails about ineligibility were sent out by Wix.
- Wix SEO Hero contest entries officially closed.
- I added my thoughts on long tail phrases impacting rankings on shorter tail terms after I witnessed Wix's main website jump from 6-9th to having multiple spots at the top of the SEO Hero SERPs just a couple days after the autosuggested phrases about the competition were added.
- Wix added some content to their seoheroschool.com entry including villains and courses.
- One competitor decided to spam their SEO Hero crap in one of my Meetup groups.
- An SEO Hero is buying links on major news websites.
- The autosuggested phrases for SEO Hero started to change ~1 month after the contest start date.
- Andrew Shotland created a great post about Wix's Real SEO Heroes.
- I called out Wix for exposing their content before it was meant to be live and before it was indexed.
- I took a look at what CMS system SEO Hero competitors were using. WordPress won.
- I looked at the content strategy of Wix SEO Hero competitors and added notes to my competitor section. There weren't many original thoughts or ideas, but there were a few standouts.
- I posted an SEO Hero t-shirt I found in my closet.
- There are a ton of SEO heroes on social media.
- There was a lot of controversy over the use of Rand Fishkin's name and likeness without permission by Wix for their SEO Hero entry.
- Wix's SEO Hero contest site seoheroschool.com finally went live.
- Joost de Valk of Yoast SEO fired some shots at Wix for using WordPress for their own blog and an outdated version of the Yoast SEO plugin.
- French and German SEOs have a lot of support in the SEO Hero competition.
- I looked where competitors were hosting their websites, thinking it would be close to New York where the judge will search.
- I added some visualizations of Twitter SEO Hero data to my research section.
- I added a page with information about previous SEO competitions.
- One SEO Hero is starting over because of questions on the eligibility of his domain name as it was previously registered.
- There is a lack of clarity on the SEO Hero competition rules and lots of unanswered questions.
- SEO Hero messages inside robots.txt files.
- I ran a lot of content analysis for SEO Hero and started a research page.
- I created Heroes and Heroines so that SEOs could vote for their favorite SEOs.
- I looked through some of Wix's documentation and advice around SEO to pull out things they have said that are wrong.
- Updated Be An SEO Hero to use HTTPS and a CDN.
- I added and started maintaining an unofficial list of competitors.
- There was so much spam in the Wix SEO Hero competition that I started a cheating section to show some of it.
- I started daily SEO Hero rank tracking.
- The Wix SEO Hero contest judge sent out an email.
- Companies started ranking pages for SEO Hero, likely to drum up business.
- I reviewed Wix's platform from an SEO standpoint.
- There was a lot of speculation that the SEO Hero contest might be an ORM campaign for Wix SEO.
- I started adding news to Be An SEO Hero.
- Lots of people registered pre-existing domains, making them ineligible.
- Wix announced their SEO Hero website, seoheroschool.com
- I wrote about how the contest would be difficult to judge.
- There was a lot of chatter around the competition.
- The judge will search from desktop, chrome, incognito, and NYC.
- The Wix SEO Hero contest started on 11/16/2016.